Saturday, January 5, 2008

Building wikis...

The process of exploring a wiki for my educational application has shown me that there are a number of different paths to develop a collaborative space, and also different online companies offering me similar prepackaged ways to have a wiki up and running quickly. The easiest method I found was to use a pre-packaged wetpaint site, using one of the many templates provided. The advantage of template design is that everything is pre-planned, easy, quick and I don't need to bother with learning special code. This works well with an uncomplicated shallow design with a limited number of pages. However the wetpaint wiki template doesn't let me modify code to alter the design or automatically update links.

As part of Wetpaint's business model, it takes me to other 'add on' tools by its affiliated companies. For example, if I want to add a survey I click to vizu.com, which integrates a survey tool on my wiki.

One nice touch to Wetpaint wiki is that users have contributed 'splatters' which are matching graphics (borders, bullets and spacers) which can easily be incorporated into the wiki to give it a much more user friendly appearance.

No comments: