Saturday, December 29, 2007

Wiki culture...

As I work my e-book page, I am discovering more about wiki culture. The following is taken from The Open Content wiki

Maintain a Neutral Point of View (NPOV). Present information straight forward using language that would make it difficult to tell who wrote it - neutral.

I have noticed that a lot of comments on pages seem to be editorial in nature (eg. in my opinion, I think that). I have edited others pages this way myself. In future I will try for the NPOV tone, backing up statements with authoritive citations.

1 comment:

stevie p said...

Kate, Interesting blog!
Perhaps it's easier to maintain NPOV when the subject matter is, or can be proven to be, factual. e.g. this happened on xyz date, this person said this, that company did this etc. etc. a la wikipedia.
It's difficult to not express opinion when things can be viewed in different ways, like essays usually are. We're seeing emerging educational environments in different ways and maybe to express NPOV would be to suggest authority on the matter?
Just my thoughts...